You may remember I posted about stray animals, specifically wandering sheep, a couple of days ago. With the research I did as a result, and the feedback I got, here’s a summary of what to do when you find stray farm and/or companion animals wandering on public roads. See the original article here.
- Do something – don’t just drive by.
- Always report the sighting to the Gardai. Tell them any markings on the animals, their location and what, if anything, you did with them.
- With farm animals:
- Do NOT put them in a field with other farm animals. You can put them in an empty field.
- Make a note of any coloured marks on them for identification.
- Find the nearest farm and report the strays. The residents will probably know the owners, or be them.
- As a last resort, impound the animal.
- With companion animals:
- Impound the animal.
- Report your find to your local dog warden AND the guards.
So, Did I Do the Right Thing? Not exactly – I put the sheep in a field that already contained other sheep. But I’ll know better next time!
Thanks in particular to the Irish Smallholders Association for their feedback!